In 1934, Outsider Artist and Pender County native, Minnie Evans had a vision from God, who told her she must draw and paint.
By the mid 1950’s she was painting in oil and in 1961, she had her first formal exhibit at the Little Gallery, the predecessor to St. John’s Museum of Art in downtown Wilmington, North Carolina. In 1962, she met New York photographer Nina Howell Starr. In 1966, Mrs. Starr helped arrange exhibits of her work at the Church of the Epiphany and St. Clements Episcopal Church in New York. From that time on she was featured in shows all over the country and overseas. Her works are found in major museums and many private collections, including the Smithsonian American Art Museum. She was recently featured in the international Outsider Art Fair.
CAM is home to the Minnie Evans Study Center and is committed to preserving and researching her life and work. The Study Center, which was funded by the North Carolina Arts Council, preserves the papers of Minnie Evans, research, and ephemera associated with the artist. CAM owns more art works by Minnie Evans than any other institution.
For more information on Minnie Evans and the Minnie Evans Study Center, please contact Susan Whisnant, Registrar of Collections and Exhibitions email@example.com